2 February 2014

CHAPTER SEVEN: Muslim men...


I have met lots of Arab men. But I believe if you want to understand them you need more than two lifetimes.
In a sense they are very similar to Europeans. They are just men. White, black, Muslim, Orthodox, Italians, Indians... no matter. When they see a pretty girl they immediately look for signs. And if the girl smiles at them, or strokes her hair, or just wet her lip because the weather is simply freaking hot, they understand it as a sign.
I think this is very stupid, and if please someone can explain this to me I would highly appreciate it. However, it is what it is. (And do not get me wrong; I believe in equality of men and women and very much love the other half. However it is true that they can be more tiresome than we are.)
So, Arabs are no different. The difference is how they approach white girls. You need to understand that the white girls are very special, very interesting for them. We are independent, and less fussy than their women. The white travelers the Arabic men meet do not mind wearing dirty clothes, having a cold shower, or traveling on a smelly bus. If I chose to travel, I know this could happen. A huge majority of Muslim women- no matter which country they are coming from- are much less keen on lowering their standards just for the pleasure of traveling to different places. For them family and children is the drive, the most important thing. And this is because a family as an institution is on the top of the list for all the Arabs.  They don't have as high divorce rate as we do. Families hang out together more, and generally children are more attached to their parents. They call their second cousin just a cousin, and a close family friend an auntie or an uncle. This is something what we miss in the European culture. I do not know if it has to do with the hectic life we have on the oldest continent or if it is historical. Or both.

Unfortunately for me I have to learn the art of signs; what is already considered a flirting and what is still a friendship? I must admit I am very bad at this. Most likely it is my fault but guys are not helping either. So when it comes to different culture, I tend to have even more troubles. Therefore the safest way is to keep the distance. However, it is hard once you travel with two young Moroccan guys who have a different understanding of dating. Once I  met a mature, married man who asked me what dating means. And then he asked me who is a lesbian... try not to look surprised in that situation!

While in Morocco I managed to keep the thin line between a friendship and flirting intact. With our boys it was quite easy since they are very honest, innocent beings. Of course they tried over and over again, but I kept my ground. However, they were not the only ones who tried something with me and Danka... 



3 comments:

  1. jasne,ze maju menej rozvodov,lebo keby sa zena chcela rozviest,tak ju chlap tak zmlati,ze sa dva mesiace bude z toho spamatavat :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. podla mna je to viac o prachoch (ona musi vratit veno, zvacsa ked je zena nezamestnana, nema kam ist potom.... atd) Tiez zalezi od krajiny. Generalizovat sa neda...

      Delete
    2. tak to potom rozhodne nie je co zavidiet a neda sa hovorit o mensej rozvodovosti v pozitivnom zmysle. Mensia rozvodovost vyplyva z ich nabozenstva, ze zena si ani neuprdne pri moslimovi a nie to este mysliet na daky rozvod. Nie to este ze je nutena vratit veno. Rozviest sa nerozvedu, lebo ani nemozu. Nie je tam taka miera slobodnej vole. Aj keby zenu chlap 3x denne znasilnoval, zena by sa stazovat nemohla.

      Delete