27 January 2014

CHAPTER THREE

Akchour

The waterfall
Akchour
We traveled through few cities; in this order: Casablanca, Rabat, Sidi Slimane, Chefchaouen, Akchour, Nador, Fes, Meknes, Rissani, Merzouga, Marrakesh and Casablanca again. Sometimes we  traveled with Amine and Oussama, sometimes on our own. The experiences were amazing, memories were incredible and vast.
When Amine said we are going trekking I didn't take him seriously. I had my snickers, remember? And when he showed me the pictures from the place we are going to I got cold feet. Shit. I really need shoes. Shit. I can't even hike, what the hell am I doing in here?
At the end it was alright. I certainly had lots of fun with the group. We did only about two hours long trek to the waterfall and another two back. The waterfall was, well, a waterfall. I liked it, but was too tired to enjoy it. And I was cold. And tired.

On the way back I got my energy back, was singing and even running. And then we realized there is no bus back to the city hence we have to go to another city through the mountains again. And again another 2 hours trek. At this point I had no clue what are the boys talking about and I didn't care. I knew I can't make it but I didn't care.
“Dianka, look what you need to cross...,” my cousin was referring to the river we needed to jump through. It looked scary. My shoes were completely soaked and slippery on the rocks. I knew I can't make it but what the hell. I even don't remember how I crossed the river, but I did. Then we started discussing our situation again.
“We don't think we can make this. Let's go back,” we were saying to the boys. Amine's phone fell to the river but the guy just laughed. And then cursed. And then laughed again. Such a funny fella.
He tried to call someone to find out about the buses to the city but he had a trouble making the phone work. Then he decided to go back and try to catch the bus:
“Guys, we need to hurry,” he said and I turned to see the dangerous river. Shit, I need to jump through the water once again. OK, let's do it.
I gave my jhola bag with the camera to Oussama:
“Take a good care of it, this is the most important thing,” I said. Then I turned to Amine who was waiting on the other side of the canal, standing clumsily on the rocks with his heavy backpack on the shoulders.
“Give me your hand Diana. JUMP!” he said but I didn't feel ready. OK, let's do this.. one, two three.... Upppfff SPLAASH!
Fuck! My left foot slipped on the rock and I fell into the chilling water, standing on the floor of the river and trying to balance. I was still holding Amine's hand so the current would not take me down again. I only remember that at this point I did not care about anything. I knew I am already soaking wet hence I didn't hurry to get out of the water. The harm was done.
I looked up and Amine looked scared. He looked at Danka who was pissing herself with laughter. Then he looked at me again. I was in a different world, I didn't feel anything.
“Aaaaaawwwwww....” I screamed. Then cursed. Then I think I screamed again, and probably laughed. Me and Amine were staring at each other, laughing, holding hands with my feet still in the water. I finally managed to stand up straight and position myself on the rock. I remember looking at the Moroccan with this very focused look and telling him just one sentences: “OK, now we take the taxi.”

On the way back I started to be very cold. By the time we reached our hotel I could not feel my limbs and was walking like a robot. A robot who needs some oiling done. Well, I needed a hot shower.
As I said, I am no good in hiking. But then there is always first time for everything; I have never felt into a river before. And my first time happened in Morocco- how cool is that!
Unfortunately, I got ill after this experience what bothered me quite a lot during the trip. One time we were taking a night bus with Danka ( this time just the two of us). My nose was totally blocked  therefore I could not hear anything. I have also removed my contacts and since I forgot my glasses- idiot!- I was not only deaf but also blind.
“Danka, I can't see! I can't hear! Hold my hand!” I was shouting and walking while crunching, trying to find my way to the toilets. There were Arab men everywhere, staring at us and I think Danka was mad at me. Maybe a bit scared too. I didn't give a shit. I just needed to pee while trying to avoid the mud. Priorities.



1 comment:

  1. It really was good experience ever , to be honest I was so so scared when you fell into the river , and i really wanted to reach to " Kantrat Rabi " The God bridge .

    ReplyDelete