27 July 2013

True feminism


Feminism has many different faces. People encounter it even without realizing it. It is there in times we would never think about the word feminism and yet the definition would apply.

The way I see it feminism has always been defined differently by different groups. I think that many misunderstand the true meaning of it, and what is more, many practice feminism incorrectly. To be a feminist doesn't mean to hate men or trying to be better than him, or wanting to get more recognition than they do. No. To be a feminist means to want to be an equal. Equality in every sense, and it doesn't matter if we compare men and women, or African American and Caucasian, or a Muslim and a Jew.

When I was in North India I went to see a local girl school. Obviously, the experience was quite different from what I see in Europe, especially in my country of origin. Girls living in the boarding schools are far from their parents and that is particularly difficult since Indians are known for very strong family ties. These girls have the same friends for many years of their study. Their teachers are their role models. And often the only thing which awaits them upon their return home is a marriage. This would be absolutely fine with the most of them. Frankly, I didn't question it up until I met a girl named Priya who showed me a different perspective.
Priya was about sixteen, a tall pretty girl with big black eyes and raven hair. She was very smart, teachers loved her and praised her. She was obviously not afraid to talk to people, was very well behaved and had an amazing English. Henceforth the headmaster decided she will give me a tour of the school premises along with one other girl. For some reason, I talked to Priya more and she was open about everything.

I was curious about her view of 'boys' and 'dating'. She told me bits and pieces from her life and soon we didn't feel like strangers but like girls who connected from the first minute.
Then she told me that there is no point in liking a boy since it is very difficult to meet up with the other sex at the boarding school and moreover she has barely time to call her own mum. They keep them busy there, indeed. And then she surprised me:
'Diana, I have one more year of school left. And then I have to return home. And I know my parents will find me a husband and I will have no say in it. But I don't want it, I want to go to the university and do more studying. I love studying. Why can boys go to the university but I can't? If they find me a husband he will be surely older and have his degree finished.'
I asked her if she told her parents. She said she can't.
'Don't get me wrong, I love them very deeply, and they love me too. But I can't tell them my dreams. So I pray. I pray that they will send me to the university and not marry me off so young.'
I had tears in my eyes. For me this concept is very hard to understand. I might try to accept it, but I will never fully understand it. I left my home, my parents, and I started a new life. I am friends with whoever I want to be, I do whatever jobs I want to do, I travel wherever I please. I don't ask anyone for a permission to do things, I am independent. That doesn't mean that I don't love my mum or that I don't ask her for advise, however in the end of the day I do what I feel like doing. Am I a feminist because no one dictates me what I should do? No. Priya is. Priya doesn't want anything extraordinary, she just wants to be equal with her future husband. She wants to have a degree and the chance. The same chance he is going to have.
Feminism has many different faces. Some go protest to the streets with their naked boobs. Some fight for Muslim women rights. And some just wants to study. I think that Priya is the truest feminist I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment