18 July 2013

Hot hot hot!


Temperature records, heat warnings on the BBC, tweets where every other word is 'hot', sunburn people walking in the crowded town, and some more people complaining about the weather....
That is what happens if the UK reaches 26 degrees Celsius.

Yes, I admit, it is warm and especially my room can get very stuffy. But I wouldn't call it HOT. Maybe because I went to places such as Turkey or Egypt, where you sweat even when sitting in the shade and where they never put the thermometers on the direct sunlight. So when they say it's 50, that means it is 50 in the shade....

However I think that what made me reconsider what hot really means was actually my stay in Dubai. Nothing can be even compared to that experience. When I first arrived I was surprised why I can't walk around the town and why they don't bother with sidewalks. So I took the subway. Soon I decided I have to get out of there and see the city on foot. The glass doors opened and a heatwave hit me immediately. Even though the air didn't move, it felt very heavy. I wanted to take a deep breath but my lungs stayed empty. I had to put my hand in front of my nose to be able to inhale. Before I realized all this – what took me about 3 seconds- I felt sweat pouring on my back and from my hair. On the 4th second, my T-shirt was already wet. On the 5th second I managed to take another breath, under my hand of course,  felt the sweat running down my forehead reaching my eyes and before the 6th second finished I decided this was a stupid idea! No wonder they don't have any sidewalks...
After three days in Dubai I managed to get 'used to' the weather, so to speak, and I started sweating not after 3 seconds, but after 5 ! Yup yup that must be some sort of a record ;)

Since I have started writing this post there have been 20 new tweets on my page regarding the hot weather. Now you can see why I find this funny, and still take a cardigan when going outside? Well,  it's going to be cold in the evening, in it?

No comments:

Post a Comment