19 September 2015

How I adopted a puppy. And then killed it


     Sitting on the stairs outside of our hotel I saw a little, tiny ball of fur on the road. It was clumsy, with its petite legs not being able to hold the body stable. The puppy did not have more than two months, was scared and when it turned its head- I saw a huge blood stain all over its neck and upper body. I got scared the puppy is going to die right there right then! And then a bike came from the other street, and I thought I am seeing it running over the doggy.

I cried out and then realized the motorbike missed him only by few centimeters. I started calling the puppy, thinking to myself I cannot possible touch him because he might have all sorts of diseases, especially when bleeding so much…
And then came a next bike, also riding scarily close, and then next one from an opposite direction.. I could not stand it anymore. I run to the hotel, and called out to all the kids hanging around in the hall.
'We have to help the puppy!' I cried. Then the Kolkata girl, Pinky, joined me, took the puppy onto her hands and went to the kitchen with him. She put him into the sink while I was helping to clean the stuff around. I was still scared of all the disease the dogie might have, but I was stupid. I could have clean him myself… Pinky washed all the blood when we realized the wound was just superficial. However, the puppy seemed in pain and really could not walk properly… For the rest of the night I cared for him, fed him with milk and biscuits-the sweet treat he refused. I could not resist anymore, I pet him. 
My husband walked to me and asked me if I remember the list I wrote recently; things I wish to happen to me in life, and I said I do remember.
And then he asked me if I remember what I wrote there.
I said I do. One of the things on the list was to get a dog.
And then he asked me if I realize this is a sign. I wished for a dog, and I got a puppy right in front of my doorstep. I smiled, and cared for the puppy with tears in my eyes… the mosquitoes started biting my whole body, there were at least ten on my legs. But I kept giving milk to the puppy. I took care of him, pet him, even pulled out a tick from his body. And that I never do in fear of getting ticks myself.
I left him inside the gates of the hotel. He slept, with a heavy breath. I kept checking on him throughout the night. And then I went to sleep.

I woke up to loud barking. Crying. Barking. I jumped from the bed in an instance, half asleep, wondering if I am dreaming or not. The cries I heard I knew. I recognized the little puppy. I also heard growling and barking of some other dogs. I wondered if I should go downstairs. I took too long. Suddenly all the noise stopped. My heart stopped. I run downstairs, but I couldn't find the puppy. Nowhere…
Few hours later I talked to the hotel owner who told me there is a French woman feeding the stray dogs each morning. I smiled and thought to myself the puppy must have wondered to her. I  convinced myself the cries I heard earlier this morning were not his.

It's 6 PM. My husband returned from a shop and told me he found my puppy. I jumped, laughed and  was about to run to the street...
'He is dead. I'm sorry,' he said.
My heart stopped. But I knew I have to see it. The body lied on the side of the rode nearby our hotel, already inflated. The dead puppy had a deep whole on the back of his neck. So huge I could put three fingers into it. People told me it is most likely that another dog bit him. They tend to do it. I wept like a small baby. I heard his last cries, I heard when he died…




P.S. I did not take a picture of the puppy when I was petting him. Somewhat it did not seem right. Now I am glad I do not have one. It would break my heart all over again.


No comments:

Post a Comment