19 November 2013

Almost perfect UPDATED

The show was suppose to air two weeks ago.  But it was worth waiting




Fox is starting a new series called Almost Human. The pilot episode was aired yesterday night and tonight we can be expecting the second part.



It looked very promising, with JH Wyman creating the series (not as well known for his work) and JJ Abrams sticking his fingers in it too (very well known for spoiling the Star Trek but that's another story). Lead actor Karl Urban gives an amazing performance, plus yes he is the doctor Bones from Abrams' Star Trek.
The episode was full of technobabble as it should be with cool CGI effects which are a necessity these days. I guess it must be really cheap and quick nowadays since all new scifi/fantasy TV shows seem to be made to the highest quality. I mean, of course it gets cheaper every year, I am just impressed how quickly the TV industry have evolved. Or am I?
I very much appreciated the little details like when the two police officers crossed the yellow tape at the crime scene and it automatically identified them, turned green and let them in. For a sci fi fan it is absolutely vital to see the universe the story is evolving in, see the differences and the evolution of the technology, moreover the tiny details in the everyday life.

The first scene is totally cool. It does remind me more of a game, but then isn't it a bit what we want? The show had action, reaction, some emotional bullshit, great actors and of course, lens flaring! Obviously since Abrams works on the show-even though only as an executive producer what can mean really anything.
I don't understand his obsession with lens flaring, does the guy jerks off on it or what is his deal? Maybe he thinks he discovered a new effect as they did in Matrix- promoting it as a totally new camera style while the slow motion has already been used before. But it worked for Matrix since people believed it was their idea. So I guess Abrams thinks the same; audience will love his new effect that is if they don't end up in the hospital from seizures.
Fortunately, it is just a show so you won't stay blind for an hour as happened to me after watching the last two ST movies.
Regarding the story- and I never really like to go into that since I want you to watch it so no spoilers- I think it was decent, of course we shall see after the second part of the pilot. It depicts dark future and the individuals who will be saving it- a typical premise yet one which is desired. Then a bitter police officer who lost his girlfriend, his leg but remains the grudging sense of humour. All the Hollywood nuances are ticked.
I would perhaps prefer a bit better cliffhanger since I finished the show and was able to go around my daily business not really too excited about the next one. Don't get me wrong, I am excited about tonight's new episode, but the first one just seemed somewhat concluded.
Dorian, the android, is just absolutely adorable. As to the actor, Michael Ealy, I think this is going to be his breakthrough and I really wish it for him. He seems so genuine; the sort of a guy who you can read behind the lines of his character and see his lovable personality. And he seems like a nice lad who you would love to meet on the subway.

I can't wait for tonight's new episode. Since the first one didn't have any proper intro- as they usually don't in the pilot- I am really wandering how it is going to look like. A good intro for TV shows is imperative. And am not talking about the eighties and early nineties which brought shame to Hollywood when series lacked the eye-grabbing, jaw dropping, effective intros. I suppose back then it was more about a good show rather than some nice effects. But then, if we watch it today we might actually appreciate the sentiment.

To conclude, Almost Human shows a promise and I expect a lot from the show. Seems like another piece I'm going to get hooked up on.
Will keep you posted.

!!!watch here!!! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Season 1 episode 2

What a shame!
This time I wasn't left as impressed as the first time. And what was that all about a '2 part pilot'? The second episode had nothing to do with the first one, and definitely was not its second part.
The show is getting a bit cheesy what is a must, of course, but I did enjoy the little quarrels between the leading characters. It was witty and cute at the same time.
The storyline was good again. This time the cops had to chase sex bots; an android females designed especially for a sexual pleasure. And of course, sex sells therefore I presume the episode will be a huge success.

Episode 2: Skin
What I disliked is that the show is succumbing into the mediocre list of all the similar series thus seems like it won't be getting any special international acknowledgement. There is, obviously, still plenty of time to change it. I'm just warning ;)
Since I don't want to only criticise I came up with some ideas. All the scifi aspects of the show are brilliant, this can stay. Characters are developing nicely but perhaps I would suggest to develop a bit different relationships opposed to the usual Hollywood-like annoying cheesiness we see all the time. Then, the stories are good but what about creating a story arc? That is continuation from one episode to the next which I believe would work perfectly with Almost Human. I doubt creators would do it (especially if JJ Abrams works on the show) however I am at least looking forward to some tasty two part episodes.

I guess for now we should leave creators to play on the sandbox for a bit and look back again after the first year will be concluded.
Long live the universe of science fiction!


No comments:

Post a Comment