10 May 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness

00:01 on 9th of May was the first screening of the new Star Trek. And it was in the UK. And I went to see it. An amazing experience considering I needed to work the next day, the tickets were overpriced, the movie is in 3D (even though was shot in 2D). So tonight I decided to forget all my responsibilities and feel young and 'cool'. I went to the cinema at midnight (as one of the very first fans to see the new movie!!!). And it felt GREAT!



To my great surprise I very much liked the twelfth ST movie. I am indeed a very critical fan of Star Trek films as I live and breath the series. Therefore I consider myself a hard to please fan. Thus I was very happy when I realized how much I'm enjoying Star Trek Into Darkness. It had action, fun, love (even though a bit too pathetic at times), with a repetitive story from previous movies (a big minus),  and a Hollywood touch to make it cool. However, in overall I was impressed that Abrams didn't succumb into the success of the first movie and didn't get too lazy as it usually happens with the sequels. Now is the time to compare the last two ST movies and say which one was better. Honestly, I can't. First of all, I've seen ST 2009 about a million times and it took me couple of watches to start liking it, whereas I loved Into Darkness straight away (but then, it is such a cool thing to see the first screening ever, right* ).
Star Trek Into Darkness started off very nicely, and the first half was really amazing, full of action and fun. Then it slowly paced down, being interrupted by the pathetic arguments between two bridge officers; Uhura and Spock. As a Starfleet graduates this is absolutely unimaginable, however Abrams obviously didn't mind it. And then OMG are you being serious with Kirk dying in a radioactive chamber?? Talking to Spock - what a bromance by the way- haven't I seen it before?? Exactly the same premise? (ST III- The wrath of Khan) Lame.. The only thing the writers changed was that this time Kirk was dying instead of Spock. Oh yes, and Kirk actually survived (while Spock didn't in the previous movie)- how do you propose to make another movie if the captain dies, right?
The synopsis with Khan wasn't bad. It wasn't anything new either, but it was bearable. The actors we picked well too. I remember reading so many news about who the new villain would be, and to my pleasing, I did like Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) who looked both very strong and intelligent, while not posing as a superhero with superpowers. Augments were indeed the better humans, but in the ST universe they could never be depicted as heroes. They are the statement of everything we fear; stronger, better, greedy.

The movie is definitely worth watching. And if you are not a Trekkie, you will probably enjoy it even more as it is a very well made blockbuster.
In the end there is nothing more than to hope that this movie will bring a lot of succes for Star Trek thus (hopefully!!) a new series would be produced. Or at least another movie. And then a new series.. Well, I guess the die hard fans must wait a bit longer...


* the premiere was earlier, but I believe that it was only for VIP guests, so technically! I did see the first screening for fans. lolz

No comments:

Post a Comment